Saturday, August 17, 2019

Caricature Tips: From study to evolution


1 study the person cautiously

My first drawings of a person are boring and conservative. I am analyzing what makes the person’s features distinct from the average or “ideal” proportions.
The first most obvious thing I noticed about this newswoman was how long her face was.
I also saw that she has a long jaw and that her upper lip is very close to her nose.
Her mouth and lips have a unique shape too but it’s hard to put into words.
She has big eyes and heavy mascara too.

2 Exaggerate what I’ve analyzed.

I made the eyes bigger and the jaw longer but drew her forehead too high – which lessons the effect of the long jaw.

3 Study more features more closely

It was a few weeks ago I first drew her. Today she was on a news program again so I studied her some more.

I noticed some things that I missed in the first drawings.
Her eyes are lopsided. One is higher than the other.

When she speaks, one side of her upper lip stretches higher than the other so I tried to capture that but didn’t go far enough to make it noticeable.

4 Now try again to exaggerate what I’ve learned

Shorter forehead to contrast against long jaw.
Eyes more lopsided.
Lips more asymmetric.

I noticed something I missed before: her eyes bulge out.

5 Push it all further

I tried to make the eyes bulgy and even more lopsided.

The more I draw a person and get comfortable visually articulating her/his features the easier it gets to exaggerate distinct features.
Although in this case, I forgot the angle on her lips.
(I draw this stuff while the person is on TV talking in real time and they keep cutting away to something else so when I look again she’s not there.)

6 Get confident and let go.

The more I understand what is unique about somebody the more I can distort and exaggerate.

There are still some subtleties I haven’t captured so I’ll have to wait till she’s on TV again.

In the meantime you can watch Josh evolve from blandness to goofy: