Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Happy Birthday Dad

Hi Dad, I hope you are having a fine birthday.

BTW, thanks for the boxes of vintage family photos, slides and negatives.

Here's a few choice items I've discovered:


1950s

Here's your Dad getting ready for the big one.
I guess military macho ran in the Kricfalusi family - at least until I popped out.


and here you are with Grandma who was as hardy as any of the Kricfalusi clan - and also the nicest person and my favorite cook. 
I remember the feasts she prepared in the basement with all her delicious Ukrainian dishes like holupchi, petoheh and my favorite - city chicken!
I always loved visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Windsor - except for the first minute when all the kissing started.

Grandpa's razor stubble tore my face to shreds. Grandma's 'stash was a bit softer but  tickled like crazy.

 
Mom and you on a cruise. Was this our trip to Germany? Or maybe the return to Canada.

50s in Germany

 I seem stunned by my first rubber whale toy.
 Me, Mom and you, The (almost) nuclear family.

Your other wife is pretty hot too.
And check out the "Googie's" wallpaper!
Here's the harem together, although the left wife seems worried about something.

Just when everything was going good an interloper horns in on the action.

Rest and relaxation:

Here's you and Hans admiring the frauleins strolling by. 
This might be a good time to show off your fancy plaid socks.
Even better to impress the ladies: "Do you mind if I take my shirt off?


Here's a pic of you sporting a nifty crew cut and dashing blazer. 
Those aren't moles and warts on your face and pants. I scanned the picture from a slide and I guess it had some dead bugs on it.

Hey whatever happened to blazers anyway? I loved all mine. The RCAF badge was especially cool. It helped me convince people I was a pilot.


Check out this glowing pic of Mom with baby Elizabeth.
Finally we have become a true nuclear family!

60s

Dad, you were a real photography bug in the good old days.
 Here's Elizabeth and I with impressive forced smiles while you take pictures of us with your shirt off.

70s

 Here's you, Mom and Jocko the Epileptic Pup. 
Dad contemplating the mysteries of the universe.
Here's you using moody underlighting to get us to think we were living in a classic Universal horror picture.
The Cottage
How I remember all those blissful days at the cottage on Wolf Lake. Fresh air, barbecues, rubbing frog bellies, outhouses, swimming, leeches and slicing our tender young feet open on clam shells.

Elizabeth (centered) and cousins "Tiddle" and Susan are getting ready for a cruise through glorious weed filled Wolf Lake.
 

I'll never forget that time Ted Kennedy came to Wolf Lake hoping to get away from all the turmoil and just enjoy a peaceful relaxing vacation.
He was having a real good time - right up until you made him climb our rickety ladder up to and earn his dinner reshingling the roof.

Many were the times I toppled off that ladder myself. 

Here's you admiring your woodpile in stylish high-water pants. 

Dad, you are the manliest person I know and my true hero. I wish to heck I could be more like you.
I used to practice imitating your ruggedness but it never quite worked.




There's only 1 real you.
Happy birthday!

love,
John