Monday, November 02, 2015

Treehouse Of Horror Storyboards 3

Here's the ending.

Here's an interesting fact about cartoon production - well maybe it's not so interesting but drawing storyboards is a lot of fun and I do them super fast. Then I spend a much longer time just trying to get the final animation to retain some of the life in the loose story sketches.

I was asked to add this ending to the cartoon at the last minute and all my animators were killing themselves to do the graveyard sequence.

I didn't want to break their hearts by adding all these new scenes so I went ahead and did the layouts and animation mostly myself. Of course I had help from Gabe and Nick, Jesse, Aaron and many assistants in cleaning up and inbetweening.
Some of the scenes believe it or not were crazy complicated - like the monster pulling Homer's soul out of his body. It was easy to sketch for the storyboard but turned out to be a nightmare to figure out how to get it to work.





Boy, executing ideas in animation is a lot harder than coming up with them. I really feel for animators and think all people in animation whether they are story people, directors, designers or show runners should do animation for a few years so they see just what is involved before they ask others to realize their ideas.

Whew!

4 comments:

Jesse Oliver said...

Thanks again John for asking me to help out on this Amazing Animation piece!

Chiok said...

animated a soul should be complicated, did you use Toonboom john for the couch gag john?

Carmine said...

Its so great to see your boards! Great job capturing their life in the final cartoon. Btw, what was the original ending suppose to be?

Erik Butter said...

Yes the animation part is the hardest allright, respect for those animators!
Great to see some of the ideas that didn't make it. Hope they make more of those little storie coach gags.