Friday, February 17, 2006

Evolution of a Caricature



When I caricature someone I haven’t done before it takes me a few tries to get an exaggerated likeness.

Usually the first drawing is very conservative or realistic.


Here’s a photo-accurate drawing of Hollywood’s most gorgeous couple (actual size).
Once I start to become familiar with my subject’s features, I then can gradually get more exaggerated, but it takes quite a few tries till I get something that’s worth looking at.


Sometimes it helps to think of what animal the subject is most like. Obviously Tom is just like a turtle. Katie reminds me of a cute man-eating bug.


See the bug sniffing it's soon-to-be- turtle-lunch.



Here's thesilly bug by itself.


Soon I'm starting to feel comfortable with my subjects. I know them intimately. I worship at the same bizarre church.



By this time, I know them a little too well.



Eventually-and this is my goal (dwg-9)-I know the subject so well that I can draw him from memory without a photo or the person in front of me. Now I can do a more cartoony, simplified caricature because I'm not distracted by a lot of details in front of me.


Come back soon and see my analysis of Angelina and her herd.

By the way, comment as many times as you like and encourage all your pals to do it too-and don't forget Granny! I need her input.

The more comments I get, the more likely some genius will come along and realize that lots of fans equals a good reason to make cartoons for them!

Hey someone explain to me why the pictures won't line up with the text even though I put them together in my posting window. Goddamn computer programmers...

IMPORTANT DEMAND: Hey all you upstart would be caricaturists out there! Now that you know how to draw Tom and Katie, show me your versions!! and send links so that all bloggers can love you as much as I do.