Saturday, July 21, 2007

Howdy Doody and Sonny The Bunny by Art Seiden

Art Seiden -Man artist invades Kid's World

When I was a kid, I wasn't crazy about Art Seiden. He fit into the "Serious artists who occasionally try to draw cartoons" category. I hated all things serious!

C'mon kids! Let's take the MAN Train to REALISTIC-VILLE!



HOWDY DOODY AND THE SLUG FREAK

Like you know when your parents would buy you coloring books that didn't have cartoon characters in them? "Jack and Jill playtime at the Beach"...realistic drawings of kids doing boring things. Outrage!

Well I thought of certain artists as being from that group, and now and then they would infiltrate happy-cartoon-world and try to trick us. But I was never fooled. I know real cartoons when I see them!
Art Seiden did the weirdest damn Hanna Barbera Golden Books you ever saw! You wanna know a dead giveaway of how to spot a realistic artist masquerading as a cartoonist?






They draw the heads too small. Tiny head cartoons made me furious as a fun loving youngster. I remember when Filmation started and everything they did was from small head world.
Small heads with half drawn flesh colored eyes!
Hanna Barbera started copying the Filmation small head flesh-eyes hate-kids cartoons with Scooby Doo in 1969 and that was the end of the world for me. I'll never forgive Filmation for ending fun in cartoons.


I've since forgiven Art Seiden though for intruding into the cartoon world with his tiny heads. He has a lot of nice painting techniques and color combinations that we could absorb into the world of real cartoons.

I've come to accept Art Seiden now and it's a huge load off my soul.


How Art Seiden actually draws when not forced to draw cartoons.


REAL COLORING BOOKS FOR GOOD CHILDREN


COLORING BOOKS MADE BY GRINCHES





"SUZY, YOU DIDN'T EAT YOUR CAULIFLOWER SO YOU HAVE TO COLOR JESUS"
AND OTHER HORRIBLE SMALL HEAD BORING PEOPLE WHO TEACH YOU MORALSUnderwear-God says: "Who's responsible for tiny flesh colored eyes?"

Thanks to Kali for inspiring this post!