Tuesday, July 15, 2008

L.O. 3: Adding Construction From Storyboard To Layout Poses

Here are some layout poses from the thumbnail boards.

Here's the board.A layout artist have to be able to capture the essence of the attitudes, poses and expressions in storyboard but add:
construction
proportions
flesh
details

but details can be a hindrance to the liveliness of the poses, so be careful!

What I'm really after are skilled artists that can do all this...WITHOUT TONING DOWN THE STORYBOARDS.
It's not an easy task. You have to be careful to not let the details get in the way of the line of action and overall clean silhouette.

The flesh and clothes wrinkles - if they stick out too much from the silhouette of the pose, will eat away at the pose and distract from the overall message.
Some artists have submitted samples of their layout interpretations of these same poses and had some of the problems I mentioned: adding too much sticky-outy flesh and clothes wrinkles that ate away from the pose.

Evening out the asymmetry is also a big problem. If any of you brave souls would be kind enough share your drawing tests in the post I could show everyone what I'm talking about. It would help you and others too, but I don't want to post them and embarrass anyone so let me know if I have your permission.

these 2 poses are the first 2 I did when planning out the scene. They are the stiffest and least lively. I warmed up after a while.





Note the wrinkles on his jacket form around his body shape and they ad up to an overall curve rather than each being a different size and different direction. That would make a confusing image.


These drawings are just the first step of layout posing, translating the basic poses from the storyboard without toning them down.
The next step is to add poses and breakdowns.


I'll show you that in the next post.