Saturday, December 12, 2009

Toy Drawing 9: Puffy Yogi- a drawing challenge

I like these funny off-model toys. I wonder how many folks could draw this and retain not just the proportions and construction, but the feel - the surface and physics of the thing.
Cartoonists and paticularly animators have a tendency to make everything out of the same material. Their lines describe either "cartoon-skin" like 40s cartoons, or "itchy lumpiness" like 70s cartoons, or a handful of other line qualities.
It might be fun to caricature the feel of this yogi ballon and see if you can capture it. The swollenness, the tight wrinkles at the seams, the squeezyness etc. I think I will give it a shot later, myself.
As an example, here is my caricature of puppets:

BTW:
Lsaac and I are experimening with putting my cartoon lessons on a separate blog:

http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.com/

There are still some bugs in the order of the lessons, but go check it out.

and don't forget to peek in at the new storyboard blog:

http://jkcartoonstories.blogspot.com/